If I need allergy injections now, will I need them forever?

Dr. Giana Nicoara
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Possibly

The guidelines of the aaaai in regards to allergy shots have recently changed; while it used to be five years of shots at the maintenance dose( once monhly), now it can be lifetime for patients who have severe environmental allergies and can "tell" when their next shot(s) is due because of the increase in symptoms a week or so before the shot.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Giana Nicoara
Dr. Giana Nicoara
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter

In brief: Allergy immunotherap

Allergy shots can often be stopped after 3-5 years with lasting benefits.
The only way to find out is to try stopping and see how you do. You can always restart if needed. Talk about this with your doctor to make the best plan.

In brief: Allergy immunotherap

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Vicken Poochikian