3 doctors weighed in:
Could getting a piercing cause allergic contact dermatitis?
3 doctors weighed in

Dr. Giana Nicoara
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
1 doctor agrees
In brief: Yes
One can develop contact dermatitis to the metal(s) used in the piece( ring, etc); the most common one is nickel.
If one uses a topical antibacterial cream after the piercing is done to prevent infection( such as neosporin), the cream itself can cause an allergic dermatitis in some individuals.

In brief: Yes
One can develop contact dermatitis to the metal(s) used in the piece( ring, etc); the most common one is nickel.
If one uses a topical antibacterial cream after the piercing is done to prevent infection( such as neosporin), the cream itself can cause an allergic dermatitis in some individuals.
Dr. Giana Nicoara
Dr. Giana Nicoara
Thank
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Absolutely
95% of the time it is a reaction to nickel in the "cheaper" jewelry that causes the allergic contact dermatitis.
Stainless steel, silver, gold, platinum and titanium cause very few reactions. The cheaper the jewelry the more nickel present.

In brief: Absolutely
95% of the time it is a reaction to nickel in the "cheaper" jewelry that causes the allergic contact dermatitis.
Stainless steel, silver, gold, platinum and titanium cause very few reactions. The cheaper the jewelry the more nickel present.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Christopher Crosby
Board Certified, Dermatology
12 years in practice
93K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors