What may be the cause of hypokalemia disease and how is it treated?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Low potassium

Hypokalemia is a low blood potassium level.
It can be from many reasons. Usually one sees this with vomiting and diarrhea from gastroenteritis. It is also a common side effect of medications such as diuretics (lasix (furosemide) or Furosemide or hydrochlorothiazide). It can usually be replaced by oral intake of pills or liquid potassium. Sometimes intravenous potassium is needed. Discuss with your doctor.

In brief: Low potassium

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Clarence Grim
Figuring out the cause of low K can be easy or very difficult. and is only way to get best treatment. Start with checking K in urine and blood. If K low in both then you are not eating enough or losing in vomit, sweat or diarrhea. I low in blood and high in urine the most likely cause is excess aldosterone production by adrenal gland.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Cause of low K

42 F asks causes and treatment of low K.
ANS: 100's of causes. So find cause and treat that. I specialize in this and can help a lot with a 2nd opinion.

In brief: Cause of low K

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology