Why would allegra (fexofenadine) be prescribed?

Many reasons. Allegra is an antihistamine which can be used for itching of the skin, nose, eyes. It is mainly used to treat allergic reactions and to relieve seasonal allergic eye and nose symptoms. It is not very effective for nasal congestion unless used with another medication such as a nasal steroid or oral decongestant.
No drowsiness. The advantage of Allegra over other antihistamines like claritin, zyrtec & especially Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is that it never causes drowsiness. Allegra is designed not to cross from the bloodstream into the brain. If the medication can't enter the brain then it can't combine with histamine receptors there. Blockage of these receptors by other antihistamines results in drowsiness.
For allergies. Allegra (fexofenadine) is an antihistamine approved in the treatment of seasonal allergies as well as hives. It is now available over-the-counter without a prescription.