I'm an extremely fit and healthly person, who is a track athlete. Blood test results showed that my h1c is at 5.9, which seemed high and alarming (normal is 4 - 5.7). My 12 hr fasting level was excellent and I do limit my sugar intake. My mother is dia

Dr. Claude Parola

In brief: Not to arlam

You are probably aware to the fact that you have a risk factor to become diabetic, but this does not necesarily mean you will become one , you should continue doing the excercise, have a healthy diet, avoid soft drinks, pastries, keep a healthy weight and have a regular check up.

In brief: Not to arlam

Dr. Claude Parola
Dr. Claude Parola
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Diabetes scree

Treat the patient, not the number. I prefer a fit, proactive person with bmi of 30, with good eating habits than an unfit, bacon-eating person with a bmi of 20.
Normal fasting sugar is <100, and A1c <5.7. Central obesity is a risk factor for diabetes. Your result is not alarming. Keep taking care of yourseld with good lifestyle discipline.

In brief: Diabetes scree

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Peter Kurzweil