I'm a 36m. Doctor told me that my WBC count was on the low end at 3.4 (normal is 3.8 - 10) after a blood test. I have no medical history and never get sick. I'm very healthy and fit. Should I lose sleep over this?

Dr. John Washburn

In brief: No

Different things can affect the WBC count and a minor deviation like this is not likely worrisome unless other symptoms are present.
Usually, i recommend repeating the level in 3-4 weeks to ensure there isn't a trend (wbc is dropping dramatically). If it's stable after one repeat then i don't consider it abnormal.

In brief: No

Dr. John Washburn
Dr. John Washburn
Perfect answer. As a lab doctor, I can't overemphasize the importance of "treat the person, not the number." Some folks just run low neutrophils from time to time, and the "normal range" is set narrow so that maybe 5% of healthy folks will fall outside but sick folks won't get missed.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: No. but need F/U

I dont think you have to worry so much about one abnormal blood result .
You definitely need to be followed up by your doctor and have the blood count repeated. Many things can make WBC low.If the repeat one is lower, your doctor should discuss with you possibilities of different things that may cause the problem- including referral to a blood specialist if indicated/if the level is extremely low.

In brief: No. but need F/U

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. William Forsythe