My 3 week old. Has been straining a lot to have a bm. He is not constipated anymore, but is bleeding from his rectum. I put vaseline on it to soothe a little bit, is there something else I should do? Why would he be bleeding? Could it be the constipati

In brief: Usually a fissure
A fissure or crack in the anal opening is relatively common in infants who have a hard or over-sized bm. It over stretches the skin causing the fissure.
This would produce strings or puddles of bright red blood. It would often appear on the outside surface of a stool. Blood from further inside the bowel would be partially broken down to a darker color. Vasaline is ok, have checked if continues.

In brief: Usually a fissure
Dr. Shontae Buffington