What are your thoughts on castor oil? -- I am 38 weeks pregnant.

Causes nausea. There are few studies to evaluate whether castor oil really works to induce labor. The few studies i've seen show that there is no difference in the timing of labor in women who have taken it versus women who haven't. The only difference is that all the women who took it felt nauseated. So if it doesn't work and makes you feel sick, i would stay away. Try nipple stimulation or sex instead.
Don't stimulate gut. I take care mostly of expectant women whose babies tend to come too early. I am strict about their avoiding otc or other medications to stimulate the bowel. Eating a healthful diet with fresh fruit and vegetables and what our grandmothers called "roughage" or fiber is a good habit for pregnancy and beyond.
Avoid . Studies show that it does not work to induce labor. It will also make you feel terrible. Be patient. There is light at the end of the tunnel since you are 38 weeks. Stay active and let nature take its course.