What are your thoughts on castor oil? -- I am 38 weeks pregnant.

Dr. Amy Herold
In brief: Causes nausea
There are few studies to evaluate whether castor oil really works to induce labor.
The few studies i've seen show that there is no difference in the timing of labor in women who have taken it versus women who haven't. The only difference is that all the women who took it felt nauseated. So if it doesn't work and makes you feel sick, i would stay away. Try nipple stimulation or sex instead.

In brief: Causes nausea
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Don't stimulate gut
I take care mostly of expectant women whose babies tend to come too early.
I am strict about their avoiding otc or other medications to stimulate the bowel. Eating a healthful diet with fresh fruit and vegetables and what our grandmothers called "roughage" or fiber is a good habit for pregnancy and beyond.

In brief: Don't stimulate gut
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Jeff Livingston
In brief: Avoid
Studies show that it does not work to induce labor.
It will also make you feel terrible. Be patient. There is light at the end of the tunnel since you are 38 weeks. Stay active and let nature take its course.

In brief: Avoid
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham