Is it safe to take fish oil pills while breastfeeding?

Yes. Fish oil pills are usually gelatin capsules full of omega-3 fish oils, with some other fish oils mixed in. They are free of mercury and other toxins if they are properly purified by the manufacturer, so it is important to choose a trustworthy brand. If taken at the normally recommended doses by a breastfeeding mom, the fish oil should not cause any problems with the breastmilk.
Yes. Absolutely! fish oil is good for so many conditions (asthma, heart disease, arthritis, depression, anxiety, cancer, eye health, etc). Be sure to look at the ingredients so that you are getting 1000 mg per day of epa and 300-500 mg dha. Some good brands are nordic naturals and carlson's fish oil. If you can't stand the taste, try lemon-flavored oil.
Yes. Fish oil is an excellent source of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, dha & ara. These fatty acids have been known to enhance cognitive function by promoting the development of nerve cells in infants' brain. Breast feeding moms are recommended to take 200mg of dha (omega-3) daily.
Hype. Krill oil and fish oil are the new snake oil, both are high in omega 3 fatty acids which are extremely fragile. Omega 3 fish oils reduce triglycerides by impairing the liver's ablility to make them. However the oxidative stress caused by fish oil actually raises LDL cholesterol. Some day we may use the phrase "this is just more fish /krill oil" or "here comes the fish/krill oil salesman".