Is pooping during birth common?

Stress response. The passage of meconium or the first stool is a common sign of stress during or prior to labor. The baby is thought to be struggling due to cord compression or other issue bringing lack of nutrient or oxygen transfer & that results in a release of stool.In some this is minor with minimal effect. In some it can set up a life threatening pneumonia as the material gets into the lungs.
Yes, a little bit... Interestingly, this is one of the issues pregnant women most fear. I field more questions about this as I do about pain control. Remember, delivering women are pushing into their pelvis (an area that contains bladder and rectum) with more force than they have ever generated. Baby's head further pushes on rectum as it descends. If anything does come out, your doc will casually sweep it away.