What type of doctor checks for food allergies?

Widely available. Even though blood testing for food allergies is widely available, indiscriminate testing should be strongly discouraged. The tests are very good at ruling out allergies, but have a very high false positive rate, which often leads to unnecessary anxiety and confusion for both patients and providers. This makes proper selection of patients and tests critical. Allergists are experts in this area.
Many different types. Many primary care physicians have the resources to check for basic food allergies. If more detailed testing or advice is needed, they can refer you to an allergist.