What is the reasoning behind water births and are they more comfortable or even safe?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: More comfortable

The usual delivery position, on the woman's back is probably the hardest and least comfortable.
Prior to the modern era, the woman delivered in a vertical position usually if possible. Using a water bath provides support and cleanliness. With good support to deal with the newborn, most women describe this as more comfortable and it adds no additional risk.

In brief: More comfortable

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Kevin Daus
Remember, there is not a lot of studies to say one way of delivery is better than another. I think water birth or water immersion is a personal choice but should be made with the help of your provider. Also not all hospitals offer this method. I have put a link that I think is objective on my web page and all considering should read. http://kevindausmd.com/links.html
Dr. Adam Smith