How does a pregnant woman pass hepatitis b virus to her baby?

Delivery process. Newborn infants often get exposed to maternal body fluids especially to her blood during the birthing process. Therefore, all the newborns born to hepatitis b positive mothers receive Hepatitis B Immune Globulin in addition to Hepatitis B Vaccine within 12 hours from birth.
During childbirth. This generally occurs during childbirth and is preventable in most cases by giving Hepatitis B Immune Globulin to the infant at birth and sometimes suppressing viral load during pregnancy with antiviral medications.