How long after getting my wisdom teeth removed should I wait before going out drinking?

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: It depends
You should be off all prescription medications before drinking any alcohol.
These medications may depress the nervous system and respiratory drive, the same as alcohol, so the effect can be added by alcohol. I usually recommend that patients abstain from alcohol for at least 7 days after surgery or until they no longer require pain medications, whichever is longer.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Daniel Sampson
In brief: When not using meds
As long as narcotic medications are not being taken, having an alcoholic beverage will not pose a problem. Continue to follow post operative instructions from your surgeon.

In brief: When not using meds
Dr. Justin Zumstein
Dr. Justin Zumstein
In brief: After finishing meds
Often times painkillers and antibiotics are prescribed when wisdom teeth are extracted.
It is not safe to drink alcohol while on these medications because of the interactions of these. It is however critical to not drink any alcohol in the first 24 hours of getting your teeth extracted.

In brief: After finishing meds
Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Cindy Juster