Will root canals lead to tooth discoloration?

Most of the time. Sometimes teeth that have had root canal will discolor since the tooth is no longer "alive". There is no blood supply to the tooth and tends to be more likely to chip or fracture, so usually a crown would be recommended on a tooth after a root canal.
Possibly. It is possible for any tooth that has been traumatized or injured or suffered significant decay to get darker in color. On a non-root canal tooth, either bonding or external bleaching can help even out the color. On a root canal tooth, of yet a crown is required afterwards, so the shades can be aligned. If the access hole is small, the root canal tooth can be bleached internally until correct!
Yes! In the process of root canal treatment, a dentist removes damaged or dead nerve of a tooth. Once nerve is gone, no pain sensors inside the tooth to feel cold, hot or pain. However, this nerve is intertwined with blood vessels, and water supply. So when tooth is sealed up as to maintain sterile environment, it loses water supply and gets brittle and discolored.
Brown Dead Tooth. When the nerve dies inside a tooth, specially after trauma, it begins to decompose producing byproducts that are absorbed from inside the tooth by the dentinal tubules. Even after getting a root canal, the tooth will remain discolored. The tooth can be bleached from the inside to whiten to its original shade. In most cases the teeth need a crown and the crown will cover up the brown stain.