Do you need help from a family member or friend after a tummy tuck?

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics

I think it is a good idea to have someone stay with you for the first 2-3 days - you will be mobile but it's a good idea to have someone help if you need it.

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

You will be unable to care for yourself for the first few days to a week.
Help is optimal.

Help is optimal.
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

Tummy tuck surgery is a major operation with recovery time often underestimated by patients and inexperienced surgeons.
I suggest patients have help available for the first 2 weeks after the procedure is performed. Many patients are at about 70 to 80% energy level even 1 month after the procedure is performed and may take several months before they are back to their preoperative energy….

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Barry Handler
Surgery - Plastics

It is advisable to have some help around the house for at least a few days to help you recover.

Dr. Barry Handler
Dr. Barry Handler
Dr. Eric Chang
Surgery - Plastics

Especially if you have small kids.
My patients typically have their parents or in laws in town to help with their small children. Recovery is no cakewalk for this surgery.

Especially if you have small kids.
Dr. Eric Chang
Dr. Eric Chang
Dr. Richard Baxter
Surgery - Plastics

A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a major surgery and afterward you will need to plan for some help for at least 24 hours.
Though a safe operation when done by a qualified plastic surgeon in an accredited surgical facility, the post-operative period is critical for your safety and comfort.

Dr. Richard Baxter
Dr. Richard Baxter
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: It is helpful!

It is generally very helpful to have a friend or family member available for a few days after surgery but not always necessary.
Simple things like getting medication or assisting in and out of bed are a nice comfort. If you remain on narcotic medications, it is essential that you have a driver take you to and from the doctor for post-operative visits as well.

In brief: It is helpful!

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

Yes, you must have someone with you for the first 24 hours following surgery or we can not perform the surgery.
If you do not have a family member, most plastic surgeons can provide a list of nursing services who can be hired to stay with you. Additionally, it is best to have someone with you for several days if possible.

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery