Is shortness of breath and hard lump in the abdomen the result of end stage liver disease?

It can be. Ascites is a condition commonly associated with end stage liver disease where the abdominal cavity is filled with fluid that seeps out of the liver. Medication can help, sometimes supplemented by draining the fluid with a needle-catheter. With severe ascites, the abdomen gets large, making it difficult to take deep breaths. Also, it is common for umbilical hernias to develop, causing a hard lump.