Can playing football with a bone contusion on the inner foot cause further damage?

Better to rest. A bone contusion is usually very painful and swollen. If you continue to play football you risk a second injury or fracture. I would suggest rest, ice , elevation, and compression.
A contusion is a. Bone bruise. Assuming that this is the case, then the main problem is that it is painful. Playing on it, if painful enough, can alter the gait of running and direction changes. As a result, secondary issues can arise.