What should I drink if I have diarrhea?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Water / electrolytes
Good hydration is important.
Water is ok most of the time but there may be some who benefit from sports drinks or electrolyte solutions. These tend to have a lot of sugar though.

In brief: Water / electrolytes
Good hydration is important.
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice
In brief: Water most
Most of what you lose is water, you might lose a little bit of salt and potassium.
You certainly dont want to be drinking a high sugar drink to replace your electrolytes since the sugar will run right thru you and could make things worse. A very diluted orange juice would replace water and electrolytes. Pediatlye is a balanced electrolyte low sugar and potassium containing fluid for dehydration, .

In brief: Water most
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine