Which is cheaper, a root canal or dental implant?

Root canal... In a short term, root canal can be a cheaper option. However, it puts the same tooth in risk for another infection, possible fracture, if not properly restored. Sometimes dental implants can be a better long term solution. So many factors come in play when making a treatment recommendation. Given other conditions are the same, I would try a root canal first on my own tooth.
Short vs long term. In the short term, a root canal is cheaper. In the long term it is almost always more expensive... Especially when considering the high likelihood that it will have to be treated with a new crown at some point due to recurrent decay or extracted and replaced with an implant due to decay or fracture. There are very few circumstances where root canal therapy ends up less expensive in the long term.
Depends. A molar which has been treated with root canal therapy will also require a core buildup or possibly a post and a crown. If the periodontal condition is good to excellent then this may be your best option. However if the tooth is severely broken down, has already had a root canal once before, and has periodontal involvement then the prognosis may not warrant the expense. Go implant for long term.
The Better Question. The better question is, "what would be the best long term solution for my particular dental situation? " and the answer is best given by an experienced and qualified dentist who can actually examine you and see your x-rays, along with knowing your complete medical and dental history. Discuss the pros and cons of each treatment plan along with the long term prognosis and then decide what is best.
Root Canal is Less. Although you are asking a direct question the answer is not. The real question I think you are asking is the least expensive way to solve the problem. If the tooth is restorable and periodontally sound the infection is best treated at the least cost by root canal treatment. If the above is not the case root canal treatment may not be an effective choice and extract/implant replacement may be best.
Root Canal Therapy. A root canal will usually be more affordable then an implant. Once again other factors come into play. Will there need to be crown lengthening done on the tooth? Are the roots healthy? Does the tooth have furcation involvement? I would need more information to give you a solid answer.
Root Canal. Short answer is a root canal. Of course a tooth that has a root canal often needs other work as well, such as a crown.
Root Canal Less $$. Root canal treatment is by far the first solution to an abscessed tooth. It is least expensive then an implant, even adding the buil-up and crown cost. If the extructural strenght of the tooth is poor, increasing the chance for root fracture in the future, than an implant would be a better choice. In dentistry we have more than one way to solve a problem, to acomodate your cost range.
Root canal. Try to save the tooth if a root canal is affordable. The dental implant will usually cost more as there is different cost such as the extraction of the tooth, bone grafting, dental implant, abutment and the crown.
Individual situation. It shouldn't be which is cheaper, but which is better in the long run for you and which will give you the best service. If one's natural tooth is easily restorable after a root canal and has a good long term prognosis, the root canal is the way to go. If the natural tooth has a marginal prognosis after root canal, the implant should be your choice. Remember, it's an investment in your health!
Root Canal. The real question you need to ask yourself is: what is my long-term goal and expectation? Having a root canal is a fine option. However, it does weaken the tooth and it's long-term prognosis becomes less favorable. If you can do the root canal and have no problem paying for the implant if/when that tooth fails, go for the root canal! Otherwise, go right for the implant! Keep smiling!
Depends. You need to consider how long will the tooth last following a root canal procedure. If it will not last more than five years then you may wish to consider a dental implant to avoid the cost of root canal then the cost of an extraction when it fails followed by the placement of a dental implant.
Depends. You really need to see a dentist who can evaluate your specific case. There are many variables...
Depends. If a root canal is done then a post and crown is needed in most cases. If its a short tooth then you may need gum surgery called crown lengthening. Pitting all that together an implant may cost less. Less procedures involved etc. Ask you r dentist to compare the costs for you as all doctors have different fees.
It depends. As with all options for treating a particular problem, much of what ultimately is "cheaper" depends on the conditions involved. All things being equal, initially it is cheaper with root canal treatment if there are no complicating factors such as shape of the canals, accessory canals, cracks in the tooth, periodontal condition, integrity of remaining tooth structure and completeness of the seal.
Short term. A root canal itself will cost about 1/4 to 1/3 the total cost of an implant replacement. Remember a root canaled tooth usually needs a crown, so that will increase the total cost. Both are predictable procedures.
Root canal. The root canal could be 50% cheaper than the implant.
Long term= implants! While endodontic /root canal therapy is considered a less costly treatment modality for a tooth whose nerve has been irreversibly damaged, depending on the extent and the cause of the damage, the placement of a dental implant may have superior long term prognosis ; economy. This particularly applies to teeth cracked down the middle and teeth that have little or no natural structure remaining.
Dental implant. Root canal is cheaper than dental implant. However, one should look at the longevity of the treatment. If root canal can provide long-term solution for the tooth then that's the route to take. However, if it provides only a short-term cure then one should look at the alternatives.
Can be close. All things considered, the implant treatment is more expensive. If you add the cost of the root canal treatment and the post core buildup and the crown and compare it to the cost of the extraction plus the implant surgery plus the implant crown, you will usually find the implant treatment to be about $ 500 - 1000 more. However, the first is building on an already broken down foundation.
Dental implant. Your main objective should be the longevity of each of the option. If root canal can save your tooth for a long time then that's the best plan. However, if the tooth has a short life expectancy even with the root canal then dental implant is the treatment of choice. It is more expensive but will give you service for a long time. So ask your dentist as to the long-term prognosis of each option.
Cheaper or Better? I believe that most doctors would agree that the decision between root canal and implant is not necessarily based on cost. When indicated saving your natural tooth is the "best", least costly procedure. However if the tooth is severely compromised and has a guarded long term prognosis it might be "cheaper" to extract and replace it. Check with your dds to determine the whats best for you.