Why do I have a lump in my breast?

It depends! Not breastfeeding or recently pregnant? Over the age of 40? Had the lump for more that 1-2 months? See your doctor! If you are recently pregnant or breastfeeding, under the age of 30, and only noticed it recently, start taking an NSAID (otc Ibuprofen or naproxen), eliminate caffeine, and give it a few weeks to see if it resolves. If not, again, see your doctor.
Pay it attention. If you are breastfeeding and it is painful, this may be a blocked duct. Massage it, add a warm compress, take some Ibuprofen (with food), and continue to express your milk. If any worsening occurs, redness around the area, increase in size, and/or fever, see your doctor for a further evaluation.