What is it like to have schizophrenia?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Not fun

On of the best examples I have seen depicted in the movies of what it is like to have schizophrenia is from the movie: the fisherking-with robin williams.
In general and in the case of paranoid schizophrenia which is the most common type, people believe that others/everyone can tell what they are thinking and can hear their thoughts. They feel like everyone knows their business. It's awful.

In brief: Not fun

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Steven Reidbord

In brief: Very isolating

Schizophrenia affects mental and emotional functioning in many ways.
Usually there are voices (hallucinations) which can be highly critical or demeaning, or command the person to do dangerous things. There can be paranoia or other false beliefs (delusions). Thinking can be illogical. But the worst may be isolation: social withdrawal and inability to communicate or connect with others.

In brief: Very isolating

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord