What are first steps in eating healthy?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Grab paper or iPad

Write down everything you eat.
Note time, situation, triggers to eat, amount, all ingredients. Many studies show that recording when a behavior occurs can alter how often it happens again. So give yourself a star for healthy foods and amounts, a negative sign for those you want to reduce. Let me know how it works and search for my other answers on "healthy eating".

In brief: Grab paper or iPad

Write down everything you eat.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
3 comments
Dr. Andrew Ho
This is the best recommendation on this topic that I have ever heard of. This type of approach is grounded in behavior modification research. Very insightful!
Dr. Laura Arbogast
This is what I have all my patients who want to lose weight do too. It's a great help because you don't always realize serving sizes and calories until you start looking at labels and writing it down.

In brief: See below

Wean off of processed foods.
Try switching out just one processed food for something you make yourself. It doesn’t have to be complicated – it can be as simple as a soup. By switching over from processed foods, which are usually high in sodium, you can make a difference in your blood pressure and overall health.

In brief: See below

Wean off of processed foods.
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: AVOID GMO's and...

I know nothing about your current diet but these days i say the first step is avoid gmo foods- this is most corn (corn syrup, oil etc.
), soy, beet sugar, vegetable oils unless organic-over 70% of processed foods/most restaurant food have gmo's, whose safety is highly questionable.Avoiding gmo's will make your diet much healthier.Include more fruits & veggies.Avoid fried foods & sodas. See comment:.

In brief: AVOID GMO's and...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
There is NO evidence that eating genetically modified food is safe and a great deal of science (primarily animal studies) showing they are likely very hazardous, which is why I am concerned that the vast majority of Americans eat these foods every day (though most probably do not realize it). Avoiding GMO foods is becoming increasingly difficult. See https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/prop37/pages/67/attachments/original/1348032282/Peer_reviewed_studies_on_GM_food_health_risks.pdf?1348032282 and http://www.naturalnews.com/035472_GMOs_avoiding_soy.html Good luck!
Dr. Adam Smith