My 10 year old celiac son has claw toes, I have referral to rch, will he have to have his toes broken?

In brief: In the future

I would recommend waiting untill he is older and his bones are more developed before considering surgical correction.
In the meantime i would try and keep him comfortable.

In brief: In the future

Dr. Lorry Melnick
Dr. Lorry Melnick
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Not necessarily

First off, surgery is only indicated when someone has pain.
Many people have claw toes or hammertoes and do just fine. Secondly, the toes aren't exactly broken persay when a surgery is performed, usually a small piece of bone is removed or 2 bones are placed together to help keep them straight. On occasion if the deformity is very flexible a small incision is made to cut tendon to help realign toe.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Steven Frydman
possible orthotics could help
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Broken??

Yikes! i never use the term "broken" to describe bone surgery.
:) a surgeon may realign the bones to straighten the toe, but only when he is older, or if he is having skin complications or daily pain due to the deformity. Conservative padding and strapping may be his best bet for now. If he does require surgery later, it's a very controlled procedure. No "breaking" involved!

In brief: Broken??

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Options

Treatment options for the management of hammertoes include conservative and surgical management.
Conservative management options include use of orthotic devices, change in shoe wear, medications such as oral no-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (nsaids), steroid injections, padding of corns and calluses, and splinting and strapping.

In brief: Options

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Shontae Buffington