I had a right colectomy with open abdominal surgery. Why did they gave me a horizontal cut next to my belly button?

In brief: Depends
I do not know why you had colon surgery.
Some surgeons trained with performing a transverse incision for right colon surgery. It may be a personal preference of the surgeon, or your type of condition was best suited for that incision. Your surgeon would be able to better inform you as to reasons for a type of incision.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Emil Shakov
Aesthetic Medicine
In brief: Surgeon preference
Your surgeon should have told you what to expect instead of you finding out later. You can make midline incision or right of midline incision or across the belly.
In today's advanced techniques and if you are a candidate you could undergo a laparoscopic surgery with small incisions.

In brief: Surgeon preference
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery