Are doctors pro or against general anesthesia in small routine surgery?

Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: See below
General=asleep, regional=numb, local=skin.
Once a patient has decided upon a surgery there is not usually a great choice for the anesthetic. In the or a patient may get a regional for knee surgery, but also gets enough anesthesia to put them asleep for the operation. There only preference is how the combinations are bound together to provide the best care for the patient..

In brief: See below
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
In brief: Not necessary
I typically don't request general anesthesia for small procedures, because in my opinion it's overkill.
However, several factors come into play when making that decision, including input from surgeon, anesthesiologist and patient.

In brief: Not necessary
Dr. Wesley Marquart
Dr. Wesley Marquart
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology
In brief: It depends on
Many factors, including the type of surgery, the preference of the patient, patient co-morbidities, surgeon preference and anesthesiologist preference.
Each case should be decided on its own merits.

In brief: It depends on
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Chetan Patel
Anesthesiology
In brief: Depends
If you are relatively healthy then yes getting anesthesia will not be a problem. If you have multiple medical problems complication rate rises then it is advisable to do with least amount of anesthetic and use local or nerve block.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Chetan Patel
Dr. Chetan Patel
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery