Should we trust the fda after they approved silicone breast implants?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Best we have

I understand your concerns.
However, while the fda may be questioned, it is genrally the best agency available in most developed nations to control and regulate the distribution of drugs and food. While i may have many criticisms of the fda, it does provide some degree of protection with a relative degree of limited bias. One of the primary problems is the prohibitive cost of evaluation.

In brief: Best we have

I understand your concerns.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Marci Dietrich
I do agree with the FDA being the best we have..... but they do have the authority to suspend the approval of a med or device etc. if the company that produces them is not compliant with provisional approval statutes. Please see the website FDA.gov search breast implants and the current recommendations. The breast implant industry is just that, an industry, that deserves scrutiny. Is it a wonder, that we don't see an industry that advertises silicone penis implants to the public?
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Surgery - Plastics

Breast implants are the most extensively studied medical device in the history of medicine.
Everything in life has risks, but the risk associated with breast implants are very small. I would have no problem placing these implants in my wife or daughter. http://www.drschulmanplasticsurgery.com/breast/breast-augmentation/.

Dr. Matthew Schulman
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Dr. Patti Flint
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Best option?

The new "gummy bear" implants have been available for years, and offer the patient more choices.
But are they better? During the trial period, i was one of the post-operative investigators who examined patients with gummy bear implants. After viewing the results of many augmentations with these implants, i identified the following issues that don’t match well with my ideal aesthetic result: nat.

In brief: Best option?

Dr. Patti Flint
Dr. Patti Flint
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: FDA approval

The fda "provisionally" approved the implants.
The issue I have is the implant makers have not fully complied with the follow-up of patients getting the implants. While I do believe that implants are generally safe for most people, there are still concerns about them. Adequate reporting to fda by physicians and pts is needed, there is a rare type of lymphoma linked to implants. See fda.Gov for ++.

In brief: FDA approval

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich

In brief: Compare to others

Thalidomide was approved in Great Britain/ Canada for nausea in pregnancy & years later found to produce babies without arms/legs.
Never got through our FDA for use in pregnancy. The Japanese Chickenpox vaccine took 16 years to get through our FDA & gain approval for general use after widespread use in Japan. There is sometimes missteps that must be corrected over time, but that's life.

In brief: Compare to others

The fda uses all the current information available when recommendations are made.
Sometimes, after more information is obtained, and more people under go a procedure, or use a medication, new information arises.

Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera