My stomach has been hurting. How can I tell whether it is acid reflux?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: See your doctor.
Acid reflux (gerd) typically causes 'heartburn', that gnawing burning sensation in your mid-chest, often worse after eating and/or when laying down.
It may be accompanied by difficulty swallowing, regurgitation of food, or even wheezing. It rarely causes abdominal pain.

In brief: See your doctor.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Howard Hack
In brief: Trial of medication
A brief answer is to try medication to reduce stomach acid such as Pepcid (famotidine) or Omeprazole would be helpful.
The evaluation of abdominal pain as a general rule can be tricky and i would encourage discussing this with your physician to avoid missing a serious medical problem.

In brief: Trial of medication
Dr. Howard Hack
Dr. Howard Hack
Dr. Marsha Davis