Is there a difference between GERD and a hiatus hernia?

Yes. Gerd is gastroesophageal reflux disease or reflux. You can have reflux and not a hiatal hernia. You can also have a hiatal hernia, which could make your reflux worse. A hernia is an enlarged opening in the diaphragm where the esophagus comes through into the abdominal cavity. With a hh, the stomach can slide up into the chest. You can have a hh without reflux. Most often, they go together.
Yes. A hiatus hernia is the stomach protruding up in to the chest above the bottom of the lungs. This is a common contributing factor to gerd. Gerd is the presence of stomach acid for extended periods of time in the esophagus (swallowing tube) leading to symptoms such as heartburn, coughing or a sensation of fullness in the throat.