Is acid reflux a serious disease?

Yes. Acid reflux leads to as much lost work time and impaired quality of life as heart disease or major depression. It can also lead to serious complications such as strictures or pre-cancerous changes.
Acid reflux. It could be . It can cause Barretts esophagus which predisposes to cancer, may be associated with H pylori, a bacteria, leading to ulcers, which can lead to bleeding. Other related conditions are sinusitis(with headaches/dizziness), asthma( reflux into lungs),celiac disease/food intolerances( causes reflux). Abnormal conditions should be evaluated by a physician, monitored/treat.