How much does type 1 diabetes increase the risk of CHF and other cardiovascular problems?

Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Immensely

Becasue of difficulty storing glucose with insulin, "plaques" are laid down inside your blood vessels.
These deposits decrease the elasticity of the areterioles, raising blood pressure, and make the heart work much harder. The net affect is an increase in major complications of diabetes which include heart, cv and kidney problems.

In brief: Immensely

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Type 1s?

Type 1 diabetics are no more prone to heart disease than normals.
I agree kidney disease is more common, but it is related strickly to glycemic control. Hypertension is not more common. Usually not obese. Most have normal lipids. There main problems are: neuropathy; glomerulopathy; and retinopathy. These are all complications of poor glycemic control.

In brief: Type 1s?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Arnon Rubin