How is rheumatic fever and a heart murmur linked to dental care?

Premedication. The concern is the "remote" possibility that bacteria from the mouth could enter your blood steam via cut or scrape, extraction etc and colonize on the heart valves. This can cause bacterial endocarditis. Another concern is the possibility these clusters of colonization can bread off and clot in another part of the body. Some patients need antibiotic before dental treatment. Discuss with your md.
Bacteria. In some invasive dental procedures, bacteria from the mouth can enter the blood stream. Patients with a heart murmur or a history of rheumatic fever could have heart valve changes that. Could cause the accumulation of bacteria on the valve causing damage. Speak to your cardiologist and dentist to see if you are in that risk group.
Bacteria. Like many procedures, dental procedures increase the amount of bacteria in the blood stream. Patients who have medical history of rheumatic fever or heart murmur are susceptible to bacteria i the blood stream, so antibiotic prophylaxis maybe required.
No link. People with those conditions used to be pre medicated with antibiotics before dental care but that is not done anymore.