When do you worry about a patent ductus arteriosus?

In brief: Fixed by school age

Pda's may require medicine closure or surgery in a frail premi .
The energy drain from the excessive heart work may prevent progress in the nicu. In stable infants they are often watched. If they are missed or picked up in middle childhood, elective closure is often advised & can often be done through a catheter.

In brief: Fixed by school age

Pathology

In brief: Seldom

In a child whose ductus has not closed, the decision to try to induce closure with medication, or to ligate, is made by the physicians.
An older child's patent ductus missed in infancy may be picked up as a murmur; it is not subtle, and usually needs treatment to prevent damage to the lungs and to enable junior to keep up in sports.

In brief: Seldom

To clarify -- there's almost never a need to "worry" this will be a long-term threat to health. There's much that can't be put into 400 words, and I agree with my colleague's suggestion that this be fixed by school age at the latest