Does smoking a cigarette relieve heartburn?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Nicotine
The opposite is true.

In brief: Nicotine
The opposite is true.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Howard Hack
In brief: NO
Smoking leads to increased acid reflux typically! smoking reduces the protective mucous layer in the stomach which also predisposes smokers to ulcers and stomach cancer.

In brief: NO
Dr. Howard Hack
Dr. Howard Hack
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Usually CAUSES it
In most people, tobacco smoke, and probably the nicotine itself (which is a muscle relaxant) causes the lower esophageal sphincter, the valve separating the stomach for the gullet, to relax and allow acid from the stomach into the esophagus, causing heartburn.
I have not heard of a patient ever saying that a cigarette improved it. Being overweight and use of alcohol are also risk factors.

In brief: Usually CAUSES it
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology