Do I have to undergo an upper GI endoscopy and biopsy to determine if I have barrett's esophagus?

Yes. Barrett's is a histological diagnosis. Tissue can look abnormal at endoscopy but a biospsy will confirm and exclude dysplasia (precancerous changes).
Yes. The diagnosis of barrett's esophagus is made by both endoscopic appearance of the mucosa of the esophagus as well as pathological features found on biopsy of the abnormally appearing mucosa. Additionally, these findings must be confirmed by repeat upper GI endoscopy before a diagnosis can be made.