What is the chance of getting colorectal/colon cancer in america?

1 in 13!!! Colorectal cancer is the 3rd most comon ca overall in usa, but the second most deadly! colon ca rates have been falling since the widespread institution of screening and awareness of prevention by colonoscopy (thank you katie couric!). Colon ca rates are far lower in less developed nations, prob due to many factors but diet seems to be a key one. Risks are higher for certain groups, so check md.
5% Genetics plays a role as do other factors such as smoking. Smoking or having a 1st degree family member with colon cancer may double your risk to 10%.