What is it like to have your tonsils removed? Should I be worried?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: It hurts
You are sacrificing 10 days to 2 weeks with a sore throat for hopefully no further episodes of tonsillitis or obstruction.
It is a very common operation, but, as i tell my patients, you may feel as if a small grenade went off in your throat for about a week to 10 days. I give my patients plenty of liquid pain medication and somehow everyone gets better. Stay well hydrated and you should do ok.

In brief: It hurts
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Should not worry.
Tonsillectomies are one of the more common ENT procedures performed.
After surgery you will have the equivalent of a really bad sore throat for about a week to 10 days. Throat discomfort improves daily. Follow your surgeons post surgery instructions and take prescribed medicines as recommended and you should heal without issues. Confirm any questions and concerns with your surgeon. Good luck!

In brief: Should not worry.
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Adam Smith