What is better treatment for cavities - root canal treatment or tooth removal?

Treatment is best. I try to save natural teeth as long as possible. Depending on how deep a cavity is or how much additional damage there is to a tooth can really be the deciding factor. This information would be needed in trying to decide whether it is best to take the tooth, or treat the tooth.
Root canal treatment. Provided the tooth is sound periodontally, it is always better to save! root canal treatment, especially when performed by a microscopically trained endodontist is virtually pain free and predictable. Every time you lose a natural tooth, your mouth suffers in some way.
It depends. Not all cavity-filled teeth need root canal. Root canal is good if you still have tooth structure to successfully restore the tooth. In some cases, the decay is so extensive, that the tooth can't be restored and then it needs to be extracted.
Caries . Thsi is b est answered by your dentist depending on the extent of your cavity. If the tooth is salvageable thru root canal you should opt for that anstead of tooth removal.
Your choice. You can do either of these to eliminate the cavity in your tooth or if the cavity is small have a filling placed. But that would just treat the symptom and not cure the problem. You need to figure out why your teeth are getting cavities in the first place. Dietary sugars, oral hygiene, saliva, bacteria, Fluoride use are all things that will affect your mouth's ability to form cavities. Talk to dds.