What are the differences between hot and cold steam humidifiers?

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: Humidifiers
The only difference is the temperature of the mist that comes out of their spouts.
Both function the same way - they generate mist to humidify dry air. Do not use warm humidifiers around young children as they can get burned.

In brief: Humidifiers
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: Safety
Hot misters are basically overgrown coffee warmers with a big reservoir.Their mist also cools before it reaches the kid, but the risk of burning down the house or being scalded when adding water is significant.
They are cheaper but I avoid them.Cool misters use a safer method to generate the mist, but the sonic technology is more costly.

In brief: Safety