Should I go to the ER if I am having suicidal tendencies?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Probably

If you find yourself thinking about suicide as a general concept, you should see a therapist or psychiatrist.
But if you're starting to make plans about how you would kill yourself, then it's time to go to the er.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant

In brief: Thoughts of suicide

If you are having thoughts about killing yourself, get seen at the nearest emergency room now.
Have a friend or relative drive you or call 911 for emergency services for transport. You can call the National suicide hotlines 24/7 at 1-800-suicide (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273 – talk (1-800-273-8255) for support. Sometimes psychiatric admission may be warranted.

In brief: Thoughts of suicide

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine