My friend has hemochromatosis. He has never had therapeutic phlebotomy. What should he do?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Depends

Hi. Hemochromatosis can be a hereditary disease from mutations in the HFE gene, or it can be from transfusion dependency (e.
g., for various alpha and beta- thalassemias). You can only treat the hereditary hemochromatosis with phlebotomy...you can't phlebotomize transfusion-dependant patients! Clarify what your friend has, and if he is in fact iron-overloaded. Phlebotomy is easy and very effective

In brief: Depends

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Lance Stein
Internal Medicine - Hepatology

In brief: Depends

Dpends on lab levels and clinical presentation and age of patient.
Mainstay treatment is therapeutic phlebotomy.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Lance Stein
Dr. Lance Stein
Pathology

In brief: Needs to wise up

I am going to assume the diagnosis correct and that this is the primary form that should be treated with phlebotomy.
He can comply, or he can die a miserable death when he's middle-aged. The choice is his and you cannot make it for him.

In brief: Needs to wise up

Dr. Jack Hinkle