My blood test for thyroid came back negative but I have visible throat swelling. What could it be?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Get an ultrasound

The blood test does not rule out the presence of thyroid nodules/goiter/inflammation.
It just tell you that currently, the throat swelling is not disrupting the ability of the thyroid to produce hormone. The best way to look at the physical aspect of the neck is through thyroid/neck ultrasound. I agree with the need to measure thyroid antibodies to see if you have autoimmune thyroid disease.

In brief: Get an ultrasound

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Pathology

In brief: Possibilities

Most folks with hashimoto's, especially early, have normal thyroid function tests though antibodies against thyroid proteins are common.
People with nodular goiter, which is even more common, usually have both tests normal. Agree that ultrasound is a reasonable next step.

In brief: Possibilities

Dr. Samuel Freedman

In brief: Goiter

Enlarged thyroid gland is the likeliest cause.
Thyroid function is different than inflammation. You likely have hashimotos disease which can be diagnosed by measuring thyroid antibodies in the blood. Get an ultrasound of your neck.

In brief: Goiter

Dr. Samuel Freedman
Dr. Samuel Freedman
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: It can still

Be a goiter with normal thyroid tests, and if not, a lymph node or branchial cleft cyst would be possiblities.

In brief: It can still

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Excellent answer. The majority of goiters do not produce abnormal thyroid hormone assays, or any problems. They "just happen", or result from mild autoimmune disease for which you can be tested if your physician is curious. Your doctor can distinguish goiter, cyst, and node. Good luck.
Dr. Steven Seres