My 2-year-old's pediatrician gave me budesonide inhalation suspension to take care of his weezing. Isn't that usually used for asthma?

Dr. Mika Hiramatsu
In brief: Yes but
Yes, however, it can also be used for croup and other respiratory conditions.
In a survey in the new england journal of medicine, half of all 3 year olds had had at least one episode of wheezing in their lives. I am therefore reluctant to give the diagnosis of "asthma" to any child under 4, because that would mean that roughly half of my patients have asthma!

In brief: Yes but
Dr. Mika Hiramatsu
Dr. Mika Hiramatsu
Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: Whatever you call
It - asthma, bronchitis, wheezing , reactive airway disease, Budesonide is given to help decrease the swelling / inflammation in the lungs.

In brief: Whatever you call
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Both
Yes, but asthma means that the child wheezes.
So treatment for asthma and wheezing can be the same.

In brief: Both
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Budesonide is primarily used for asthma prevention to keep lung inflammation under control.

Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine