Is speech delay a definite sign of autism?

No. In fact, nonverbal communication is deficient in autistic children; many children with speech delay are so good at reading nonverbal cues that they have no motivation to start speaking.
No. Speach dela has many causes such as recurrent ear infections, hearing loss and birth order,with the youngest child in multi child family often having a delay in expressive language.
Yes. Yes, speech delay is one sign of autism, BUT there are many manifestations of speech delay that are NOT associated with autism, as well. Speech delay with poor eye contact, lack of gesturing in a toddler, with intense interest in a narrow range of subjects are associated signs of autism. Early diagnosis can be made between 15 to 18 months and definitely by age two! Early intervention is key! .
Not always. What's important is to assess both receptive & expressive language.As well as self-help/adaptive skills, cognition, social verbal & non-verbal communication & reciprocal social interaction.Speech is sound production or articulation. An isolated expressive language disorder confers high risk for dyslexia. Rec/exp language disorder can be isolated or indicate risk for intellectual disability.