Is it safe to use orajel for mouth sores even though its says that it is for toothaches?

Dr. James Merrett
Dentistry

In brief: Mouth sores

The main ingredient is orajel is benzocaine, which is a mild topical anesthetic.
Orajel could provide temporary relief, however, it will not cure the mouth sores. I would suggest seeing your dentist or primary health care provider to help narrow down the cause of these mouth sores.

In brief: Mouth sores

Dr. James Merrett
Dr. James Merrett

In brief: Use it judiciously

Orajel contains Benzocaine in strengths of 10% to 20% which help relieve pain for mouth sores.
This can be used to alleviate the pain for a few days, but if the symptoms do not get better, a dentist needs to be consulted. Oragel should not be used in kids less than 2 years. Oragel sore mouth rinse can be used by swishing to debride and clean the mouth.

In brief: Use it judiciously

Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Shontae Buffington