Is rectal bleeding associated with prostate cancer?

Possibly. Depending on the stage of the prostate cancer, rectal bleeding can be present. However, if it an early stage prostate cancer, rectal bleeding is generally not associated with prostate cancer. Also, previous radiation treatment for prostate cancer may cause rectal inflammation and cause subsequent rectal bleeding but this generally resolves over time.
Would be unusual. Yes the prostate gland literally sits next to the front of the rectum but there is a layer of tissue between the two such that it would be rare for prostate cancer to erode into rectum and cause rectal bleeding. Many men with prostate cancer are treated with radiation therapy and that can cause rectal tissue irritation which can then cause bleeding.