I had my wisdom teeth removed and was told to rinse with salt water three times a day for a week. Is there anything else I need to do?

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Practice good oral hygiene including brushing your teeth, stay and soft food and avoid smoking.

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

It is also important not to spit vigorously, use drinking straws or smoke for at least a few days.
This will prevent bleeding from the extraction sites and a possible "dry socket". If there is excessive bleeding, place some gauze over the extraction sites and bite down for 20-30 at a time. Be on a liquid or soft diet and advanced to solids as tolerated.

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

The best things to do are to maintain good oral hygiene and rinsing is part of that.
You should also brush your teeth, avoid smoking and carbonated beverages and avoid strenuous exercise for about a week.

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Daniel Sampson

In brief: Keep mouth clean.

It is common to have some discomfort after teeth are removed.
Warm salt water rinses, otc painkillers and meticulous oral hygiene along with cold packs on the outside of the mouth help to make you feel better and heal the areas very quickly. Be on the lookout for any increasing pain or swelling at which point your dentist would want to know and treat you asap.

In brief: Keep mouth clean.

Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Mini Sambhavita Rangrass
Dr. Shontae Buffington