I am taking propylthiouracil for an enlarged and overactive thyroid. Is it safe? What are other medications I could be taking?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Black Box Label

Ptu (propylthiouracil) is not the first line medication for grave's disease under usual circumstances.
It has been associated with some cases of liver failure and can also cause suppression of certain immune system cells. Methimazole is the drug we use which can also have some of the same side effects, though doesnt have the same risk for liver failure. Neither drug provides definitive cure. Please talk to ur doc.

In brief: Black Box Label

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Adam Smith