What do I do to get rid of a sinus headache?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: First, diagnosis

In general, headache as the only symptom is rarely the result of rhino-sinusitis.
The classical symptoms of sinusitis are nasal congestion, nasal obstruction, yellow nasal discharge, fullness or pressure below the eyes and pain or fullness between the eyes. You get rid of sinusitis by first making the diagnosis and determining whether it is viral or bacterial. Then you can get rid of headache.

In brief: First, diagnosis

Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Eric Farbman
Neurology

In brief: Stress HA = migraine

Although it feels like the sinuses, your headaches are probably migraines.
Migraine pain can sometimes feel "sinusy". Sinuses generally don't cause headaches. In cases like yours, patients are usually placed on a preventative agent taken daily to reduce the pain, and an acute agent (ie a triptan ie imitrex) to take when the headache comes. You may also have rebound/medication overuse headache.

In brief: Stress HA = migraine

Dr. Eric Farbman
Dr. Eric Farbman
Dr. Osman Farooq
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Sinus pain

The best treatments are nasal decongestants, mucolytics, tylenol (acetaminophen) or motrin.
One thing that I do when i get sinus pressure headaches is to rub Vicks on my forehead. Give it a try! it works for me.

In brief: Sinus pain

Dr. Osman Farooq
Dr. Osman Farooq