Do I need a referral for an orthapedic surgeon to get checked for exertional compartment syndrome?

Yes. Must likely yes in order to measure the comparment pressure during exertion, however any physician that knows how to measure pressures can do it such as sports medicine and physiatry but the orthopaedic surgeon is the one that do the surgical procedure to correct the problem.